5 Best ATV Winch Reviews 2020 [Buying Guide]
An ATV winch is a must-have tool for people who work outdoors because it comes in handy when you want to carry heavy loads from one place to another or pulling your vehicle from mud.
Choosing a quality winch can be difficult because there are many models in the market nowadays. That’s why we have decided to simplify the process for you by coming up with a detailed buyer’s guide and a list of five best ATV winch based on our ranking.
This article will enlighten you by offering necessary information about how a winch works and the features you should look for before investing in an ATV winch to ensure that you get value for your money. It also consists of the commonly asked questions about winches and their answers for clarification. All this information will help you to familiarize yourself with winches and enable you to narrow down to one model that suits your preference and budget.
5 Best ATV Winch Comparison Table
Item weight (pounds)
Product dimensions (inches)
Warn ProVantage 2500lb
15.5 x 13 x 6.2
Superwinch Terra 45 4500lbs
15.1 x 4.5 x 4.8
Warn Vantage 3000lb
15.5 x 13 x 6.5
Superwinch Black 12 VDC LT 4000
15.7 x 10 x 6.5
Champion Power Equipment
17 x 14.5 x 9.5
How We Wrote This Review
All the information in this review is based on gathered information from real users, product experts and researchers. This research review is necessary for people looking forward to investing their money on either of the discussed products because it is not biased and it entails of honest opinions from people who have used them.
Apart from that, this information will equip you with basic ideas about how winches work and how to buy the right one because sellers can take advantage of first-time buyers. It will also save your time and energy because we have simplified the job for you by narrowing down to five top ATV winches available on Amazon at affordable prices.
Amazon has earned many people’s trust over the years because of their quality customer service and the efficient products that they sell. That’s why our researchers chose products that you can easily purchase off this website for guaranteed value for your money.
ATV Winch Buyer’s Guide
Just like buying any other tool, there are features you should look for in an ATV winch and factors you should consider before purchasing a particular model. This is to ensure that you invest in the best winch in the market that will stay in good condition for a long time and offer quality operation. Below are a few things you should keep in mind as you choose an ATV winch.
- Intended usage
Winches are designed with different power capacities meant to accommodate specific types of activities. Consider purchasing a winch that has a higher pulling capacity if your vehicle is hefty or if you intend to pull heavy loads. On the other hand, you can decide to go for the lower powered models which are more affordable if your ATV is lighter.
- Winch cover
A winch cover protects the parts from dust and other elements that can destroy the winch components. Besides, it protects the winch from extreme impacts caused by inevitable bumps and any other mechanical damage. Choose a winch that has a cover to shield your winch in the field to ensure that it stays in good condition for a longer time.
- Winch brakes
Winches come with either dynamic or mechanical brakes depending on the type of the model. Dynamic brakes use a gear system to stop the drum’s rotation while mechanical brakes lock the winch drum physically. Generally, winches with mechanical brakes are preferred because they are less prone to slipping especially when holding heavy loads.
- Line speed
Ensure that you check the load capacity of the winch because some manufacturers indicate the line speed without attaching the load; hence the ATV winch seems faster than it is.
Some companies offer a lifetime warranty with free repair services from trained people around you while some offer a limited warranty. Therefore, inquire about the warranty if it’s not indicated on the manual to save on the extra cost that comes with repairs or being forced to replace the winch if it becomes faulty with time.
- Power source
Most modern winches are electric; hence they are directly attached to your ATV as a power source while some are driven by hydraulic power. These types of winches are designed for extreme operating conditions and loads. An electric winch should be adequate for a good ATV battery.
The motor determines the effectiveness of an ATV winch. An engine that requires high amps to run drains the ATV’s battery hence less effective. It’s advisable to go for a winch that has a permanent-magnet motor because they are energy efficient. Their only disadvantage is that they tend to overheat especially when you are pulling a heavy load.
Comfort should be at the top of your list of things to keep in mind when you are buying an ATV winch. Ensure that the winch offers maximum comfort for you to enjoy the winching activities and be safe at all times.
It’s always advisable to invest in a high-quality tool that will be effective for a more extended period even if it’s a bit costly than purchasing a cheap one that will require repairing now and then.
- Solenoid mounting
Consider how the solenoid/contractor is mounted on the truck. Choose a contractor that comes with a remote option because you can always install it elsewhere and to operate the winch in a tighter space. Integrated contractors are permanently attached to your winch hence might not fit if the mounting area is not of the perfect fit.
Best ATV Winch Reviews
#1 WARN ProVantage 2500 - best atv winch for the money
The Warn ProVantage winch offers exceptional durability and excellent performance due to the high-quality features that come with it. It is built from premium parts; hence this company has managed to win many people’s trust over the years. The best feature of this winch is the corrosion-resistant black finish that maintains its attractive appearance throughout. If you decide to invest in this winch, you will definitely get value for your money because it is durable and efficient.
- Three-stage planetary gear trains. The gear offers smooth operation throughout the winching procedure.
- Clutch controls that are easy to use. The clutches are easy to use even for beginners who have no experience at all.
- Fully sealed motor and gear train. Sealing protects the components of the winch from elements such as dirt and moisture which destroy the parts after some time if they are not maintained well.
- Corrosion-resistant black finish. The finish ensures that the winch remains in good condition by preventing corrosion.
- An aircraft-grade wire rope and a lightweight synthetic rope
- Model –Warn ProVantage 2500 winch
The double-powder-coated hawse fairlead reduces the rate at which the rope tears.
The winch offers quiet, fast and reliable pulling power hence capable of running smoothly on any terrain.
- The installation instructions are not clear hence setting up the winch takes time especially for beginners who are not familiar with the parts.
#2 Superwinch Terra 45 - best winch for atv
Just like the previous winch discussed above, this ATV winch is also from the Superwinch Company. The most outstanding feature is the lifetime warranty that allows you to return the winch in case it becomes faulty and wears out with time. It is also capable of handling any terrain due to its powerful magnet motor.
- Circuit breaker protected. You don’t have to worry about overworking it because the circuit is protected.
- Weather sealed solenoid contact to lock out elements that can alter the efficiency of the winch.
- Anodized aluminum hawse
- Heavy duty latched hook with thimble for easier attachment to the load or vehicle.
- Mechanical load holding and dynamic brake. The load is firmly held and the dynamic brake allows you to stop the winch easily.
- All steel planetary gear twice as wide as those used by the competition and utilizing machined-in, oil pocket bronze bearings
- Ergonomic cam action freespooling clutch
- High efficiency, low amp draw, sealed 1.6 hp permanent magnet motor
- Powers load in and out
- 55' x 1/4" length of synthetic rope
- Steel drum designed for synthetic rope
- Model -1145230
- It is easy to install. This winch comes with comprehensive instructions on how to set it up.
Some black “goo” comes out of the spool after sometime
Difficult to free the spindle out of the cable
#3 WARN Vantage 3000 - best budget winch for atv
Warn Vantage 3000 winch is designed for moving heavy loads from one place to another and vehicle recovery from mud. It offers excellent performance due to its powerful motor that enables it to run smoothly and a 3000 pounds pulling capacity to pull loads with easy. It features a three-stage planetary gear train that guarantees efficient operation on any terrain.
- Fully sealed gear train to keep the elements out. This feature ensures that the components of the winch are always safe and free from contaminants like dust and moisture.
- High strength composite end housing. Enables the winch to handle heavy loads.
- Mechanical spring brake for control. The mechanical brake guarantees your safety because you are always in a position to stop the winch.
- Handlebar-mounted mini rocker switch
- 50 feet of 3/16 inch wire rope. It offers extra room to work with and accommodates any working distance that you desire.
- Roller fairlead. It is used to guide the winch cable and remove lateral strain from the winch.
The three-stage planetary gear offers a smooth and efficient operation throughout the procedure.
The corded remote control allows you to operate from a distance for security purposes. The winching procedure is prone to accidents hence you should not operate the winch near the stuck vehicle or heavy loads.
It comes with a fairlead plate with an instruction to inspect the rope for any damage and replace it immediately if it’s damaged. Synthetic ropes wear out with time but they are cheap hence you can replace them in case of any damage.
The winch gets stuck in the free spool.
Installation is quite difficult because the instructions are not clear.
#4 Superwinch 12 VDC LT4000 - best cheap atv winch
The Superwinch Company is well known for its quality products. This ATV winch is meant for recovering vehicles and pulling heavy loads like logs. It is affordable and efficient due to its permanent magnet motor that offers maximum power to facilitate the smooth running of the winch. Besides that, it comes with a manual that contains instructions on how to install it on your ATV easily.
- Mechanical and dynamic brake. It comes with both types for you to choose the one you feel comfortable to use when operating the winch.
- Includes both handlebars mounted rocker switch and a handheld remote for easier operation.
- Rated line pull of 4,000 pounds
- Roller fairlead and 50’ of 3/16” steel cable
- Sealed low amperage permanent magnet motor that offers maximum power to run the winch.
It is reliable due to its capability to work on heavy loads comfortably.
It is affordable keeping in mind the fantastic features that are offered by this winch.
Clear installation instructions hence the installation process is easy even for beginners.
- Main wires are quite short
#5 Champion 4500-lb ATV/UTV - best utv winch / Champion winches review
This wireless winch from the Champion Company includes everything you will need during the winching activity. Its remote powers off automatically to avoid draining your vehicle’s battery unnecessarily. This winch is crafted to perfection; hence it’s durable and stays in good condition even after being used in rough terrain. Lastly, it features dynamic braking that allows you to stop the winch anytime thus guaranteeing your safety at all times.
- Item weight - 30.4 pounds. The weight of this winch allows you to move it from one place to another easily and makes the installation process easier.
- Product dimensions - 17 x 14.5 x 9.5 inches. It’s not large; hence it doesn’t require a lot of packing space.
- Wireless remote with antenna. This winch comes with a wireless remote that enables you to operate it from a distance to ensure that you are safe.
- 14560 4500-lb is designed to handle heavy loads with ease.
- Mounting channel. This channel makes the installation procedure easier.
- Roller fairlead. It is used to ensure that the cable is straight by guiding it from the winch to the vehicle or load.
- Contractor. Used to switch the electrical power circuit.
- Mini-rocker handlebar switch. It allows you to operate the winch with ease.
- 2-year warranty. Saves you the cost of repairing the winch because you can replace it with a new one it ends up being faulty within the first two years.
The winch is convenient because it is heavy duty. It can accommodate heavy vehicles and loads with ease.
It is efficient due to the powerful motor that has a line speed of 4.5 feet/minute with a load and 12.8 feet/minute without a load.
The super-duty cable that is galvanized guarantees the safety of your hands, especially when working on rough terrains.
It comes with free technical support from experts around you to repair it for you in case of any faults. Can it get any better?
- The wireless remote has a slight delay when you press the forward or back button.
ATV Winch FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions )
What weight rating is right for me?
If your ATV is smaller (under 400cc), then you require a winch that has a 2000-2500lb for adequate performance. Larger ATVs (over 400cc) need a winch that has a 3000-35000lb meant to handle heavier loads.
Wire cable or synthetic rope?
This choice depends on the type of terrain you will be working on the intensity of the work. However, both of them require special treatment and care to ensure that they stay in good condition for a more extended period. Synthetic ropes are lightweight and safe to handle without gloves. However, they wear out quickly due to frequent exposure to harsh chemicals and UV light. On the other hand, wire cables are durable and have high abrasion resistance. You should always wear heavy gloves when using wire cables to protect your hands.
Should I install it by myself or let the dealer do it?
Most ATV winches from well-known companies come with a detailed manual that contains a systematic procedure on how to install it. The process should be natural if you carefully follow the instructions, so it’s advisable to do it by yourself instead of spending extra money for the dealer to do it.
What are the ATV winch’s specifications?
Some of the specs to keep in mind when buying a winch are; the line pull, type of motor and the material of the rope. Choose higher-end winches because they have strong engines hence more efficient and a higher line pull but can be a bit costly. Choose synthetic ropes because they are cheap to replace and are not harsh on your hands.
Which is the best ATV winch brand?
Many brands manufacture winches nowadays. That’s why you should purchase a winch from a well-known brand instead of the new ones that don’t have the experience yet. Some of the best ATV winches brands that offer quality products include Warn, KFI, Champion and Superwinch. Ensure that the brand is legit to keep of frauds that intention is to take advantage of people who are not able to tell the difference between a fake product and a legit one.
Should I purchase a winch from Amazon?
Amazon is among the best websites where you can purchase a winch from. However, ensure that you do your research for you to buy the right winch for your ATV because the products’ names and features can be confusing at times.
The above products entail different pros and cons that should guide you on settling for a model according to your purpose, budget and preferred design. Each of the discussed products is designed to offer a specific service so choose one that best suits what you are looking for. Those are the five best ATV winches that we came up with, and we can guarantee you that they will be of great help whether you will be using it for transporting loads or pulling your stuck vehicles from mad without any complaints.
For more information, check out more customer reviews on Amazon where they share honest opinions about their experience after using the products. If you are interested in purchasing any of the discussed winches, check its price on Amazon now! We promise that you won’t regret this investment.
Related Post :
- The installation instructions are not clear hence setting up the winch takes time especially for beginners who are not familiar with the parts.