9 Best ATV Winch Reviews 2020 [Buying Guide]
An ATV winch is a must-have tool for people who work outdoors because it comes in handy when you want to carry heavy loads from one place to another or pulling your vehicle from mud.
Choosing a quality winch can be difficult because there are many models in the market nowadays. That’s why we have decided to simplify the process for you by coming up with a detailed buyer’s guide and a list of 9 best ATV winch based on our ranking.
This article will enlighten you by offering necessary information about how a winch works and the features you should look for before investing in an ATV winch to ensure that you get value for your money. It also consists of the commonly asked questions about winches and their answers for clarification. All this information will help you to familiarize yourself with winches and enable you to narrow down to one model that suits your preference and budget.
Best ATV Winch Comparison Table
Editors Rating & Price
Wired Handheld remote x1
Wireless - sold separately
Wireless Remote Controller × 2
And Hand Remote Controller × 1
Not included with package
Wired Handheld remote
Best ATV Winch Reviews
#1. Superwinch LT3000ATV 12 VDC winch - Best atv winch for the money
This winch has a sleek finish that will impress anyone who’ll lay their eyes on it. It has a mounting plate to hold the fairlead unlike a few models we have discussed. The permanent magnetic moor has high efficiency and holds strong against the load of small ATV/UTVs. The low amperage is an added benefit.
The handheld motor helps you control the actions without moving from where you are standing. The mechanical brake holds the weight properly. The wire rope is almost 50 feet long and is very reliable. The automatic mechanical brake makes the whole process easier and enhances the functionality of the winch
Related : Smittybilt Winches Review
#2. WARN VRX 25 Powersports Winch - best budget winch for atv
With its 2500lbs capacity, this is a brilliant choice for smaller ATVs and the steel rope is strong enough to endure some weight. The rope is 50 inches long, coated with waterproof material and the other components also have IP68 waterproof standards.
The zinc plated hook is strong and that’s something you can decipher by simply looking at it. Additionally, it has black powder coated finish that makes it resistant to corrosion. The function is smooth, with less noise because of the 3-stage planetary gear train. You have the control in your hands from start to end, making it a reliable buy for your vehicle.
#3. ORCISH 12V IP67 Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch
This is the ideal choice for dealing with vehicles stuck in a river, trench or when it is heavily raining. Their P67 grade waterproof components make the job easier for you. It has a high load capacity of 13000lbs that can handle heavy UTVs and ATVs.
This electric winch has copper gear components that are light in weight but still offer efficient performance without succumbing to wear and tear. The brake clutch is highly durable and swift in action. The synthetic rope is strong and you can avoid a lot of accidents unlike steel cables that are prone to breakage. It is almost 85 feet long and combined with the traction power, it saves you a lot of time and energy. You can rely on this winch even when you are stranded during most unconventional off-road adventures.
#4. Extreme Max ATV/UTV Deluxe Winch - best utv winch
This is a 3100lbs Bear claw winch that is suitable for small ATV/UTV vehicles. It has a 45 inch long steel cable that comes with roller fairlead, mountain hardware, motor cable and connectors. It might get a little confusing while figuring out the connecting wires, you’ll have to follow the manual diligently.
It is properly sealed to provide water resistance to a certain extent. It has high efficiency and low amp draw that gets your work done in less time. It has a triple planetary gear train and 4 mount bolting system that enables you to use this winch for a varied model of vehicles. It has a 2 year warranty that might come in handy seeing how it doesn’t have a strong external build and won’t handle heavy vehicles.
#5. Superwinch Terra 45 - best winch for atv
Just like the previous winch discussed above, this ATV winch is also from the Superwinch Company. The most outstanding feature is the lifetime warranty that allows you to return the winch in case it becomes faulty and wears out with time. It is also capable of handling any terrain due to its powerful magnet motor.
- Circuit breaker protected. You don’t have to worry about overworking it because the circuit is protected.
- Weather sealed solenoid contact to lock out elements that can alter the efficiency of the winch.
- Anodized aluminum hawse
- Heavy duty latched hook with thimble for easier attachment to the load or vehicle.
- Mechanical load holding and dynamic brake. The load is firmly held and the dynamic brake allows you to stop the winch easily.
- All steel planetary gear twice as wide as those used by the competition and utilizing machined-in, oil pocket bronze bearings
- Ergonomic cam action freespooling clutch
- High efficiency, low amp draw, sealed 1.6 hp permanent magnet motor
- Powers load in and out
- 55' x 1/4" length of synthetic rope
- Steel drum designed for synthetic rope
The best feature of this winch is the corrosion-resistant black finish that maintains its attractive appearance throughout. If you decide to invest in this winch, you will definitely get value for your money because it is durable and efficient.
- Three-stage planetary gear trains. The gear offers smooth operation throughout the winching procedure.
- Clutch controls that are easy to use. The clutches are easy to use even for beginners who have no experience at all.
- Fully sealed motor and gear train. Sealing protects the components of the winch from elements such as dirt and moisture which destroy the parts after some time if they are not maintained well.
- Corrosion-resistant black finish. The finish ensures that the winch remains in good condition by preventing corrosion.
- An aircraft-grade wire rope and a lightweight synthetic rope
- Model –Warn ProVantage 2500 winch
#7. WARN Vantage 3000
Warn Vantage 3000 winch is designed for moving heavy loads from one place to another and vehicle recovery from mud. It offers excellent performance due to its powerful motor that enables it to run smoothly and a 3000 pounds pulling capacity to pull loads with easy. It features a three-stage planetary gear train that guarantees efficient operation on any terrain.
- Fully sealed gear train to keep the elements out. This feature ensures that the components of the winch are always safe and free from contaminants like dust and moisture.
- High strength composite end housing. Enables the winch to handle heavy loads.
- Mechanical spring brake for control. The mechanical brake guarantees your safety because you are always in a position to stop the winch.
- Handlebar-mounted mini rocker switch
- 50 feet of 3/16 inch wire rope. It offers extra room to work with and accommodates any working distance that you desire.
- Roller fairlead. It is used to guide the winch cable and remove lateral strain from the winch.
#8. Superwinch 12 VDC LT4000 - best cheap atv winch
The Superwinch Company is well known for its quality products. This ATV winch is meant for recovering vehicles and pulling heavy loads like logs. It is affordable and efficient due to its permanent magnet motor that offers maximum power to facilitate the smooth running of the winch. Besides that, it comes with a manual that contains instructions on how to install it on your ATV easily.
- Mechanical and dynamic brake. It comes with both types for you to choose the one you feel comfortable to use when operating the winch.
- Includes both handlebars mounted rocker switch and a handheld remote for easier operation.
- Rated line pull of 4,000 pounds
- Roller fairlead and 50’ of 3/16” steel cable
- Sealed low amperage permanent magnet motor that offers maximum power to run the winch.
#9. Champion 4500-lb ATV/UTV
This wireless winch from the Champion Company includes everything you will need during the winching activity. Its remote powers off automatically to avoid draining your vehicle’s battery unnecessarily. This winch is crafted to perfection; hence it’s durable and stays in good condition even after being used in rough terrain. Lastly, it features dynamic braking that allows you to stop the winch anytime thus guaranteeing your safety at all times.
- Item weight - 30.4 pounds. The weight of this winch allows you to move it from one place to another easily and makes the installation process easier.
- Product dimensions - 17 x 14.5 x 9.5 inches. It’s not large; hence it doesn’t require a lot of packing space.
- Wireless remote with antenna. This winch comes with a wireless remote that enables you to operate it from a distance to ensure that you are safe.
- 14560 4500-lb is designed to handle heavy loads with ease.
- Mounting channel. This channel makes the installation procedure easier.
- Roller fairlead. It is used to ensure that the cable is straight by guiding it from the winch to the vehicle or load.
- Contractor. Used to switch the electrical power circuit.
- Mini-rocker handlebar switch. It allows you to operate the winch with ease.
- 2-year warranty. Saves you the cost of repairing the winch because you can replace it with a new one it ends up being faulty within the first two years.
How We Wrote This Review
All the information in this review is based on gathered information from real users, product experts and researchers. This research review is necessary for people looking forward to investing their money on either of the discussed products because it is not biased and it entails of honest opinions from people who have used them.
Apart from that, this information will equip you with basic ideas about how winches work and how to buy the right one because sellers can take advantage of first-time buyers. It will also save your time and energy because we have simplified the job for you by narrowing down to five top ATV winches available on Amazon at affordable prices.
Amazon has earned many people’s trust over the years because of their quality customer service and the efficient products that they sell. That’s why our researchers chose products that you can easily purchase off this website for guaranteed value for your money.
Best Atv Winch For The Money [Buyer’s Guide]
Just like buying any other tool, there are features you should look for in an ATV winch and factors you should consider before purchasing a particular model. This is to ensure that you invest in the best winch in the market that will stay in good condition for a long time and offer quality operation. Below are a few things you should keep in mind as you choose an ATV winch.
Winches are designed with different power capacities meant to accommodate specific types of activities. Consider purchasing a winch that has a higher pulling capacity if your vehicle is hefty or if you intend to pull heavy loads. On the other hand, you can decide to go for the lower powered models which are more affordable if your ATV is lighter.
A winch cover protects the parts from dust and other elements that can destroy the winch components. Besides, it protects the winch from extreme impacts caused by inevitable bumps and any other mechanical damage. Choose a winch that has a cover to shield your winch in the field to ensure that it stays in good condition for a longer time.
Winches come with either dynamic or mechanical brakes depending on the type of the model. Dynamic brakes use a gear system to stop the drum’s rotation while mechanical brakes lock the winch drum physically. Generally, winches with mechanical brakes are preferred because they are less prone to slipping especially when holding heavy loads.
Ensure that you check the load capacity of the winch because some manufacturers indicate the line speed without attaching the load; hence the ATV winch seems faster than it is.
Some companies offer a lifetime warranty with free repair services from trained people around you while some offer a limited warranty. Therefore, inquire about the warranty if it’s not indicated on the manual to save on the extra cost that comes with repairs or being forced to replace the winch if it becomes faulty with time.
Most modern winches are electric; hence they are directly attached to your ATV as a power source while some are driven by hydraulic power. These types of winches are designed for extreme operating conditions and loads. An electric winch should be adequate for a good ATV battery.
The motor determines the effectiveness of an ATV winch. An engine that requires high amps to run drains the ATV’s battery hence less effective. It’s advisable to go for a winch that has a permanent-magnet motor because they are energy efficient. Their only disadvantage is that they tend to overheat especially when you are pulling a heavy load.
Comfort should be at the top of your list of things to keep in mind when you are buying an ATV winch. Ensure that the winch offers maximum comfort for you to enjoy the winching activities and be safe at all times.
It’s always advisable to invest in a high-quality tool that will be effective for a more extended period even if it’s a bit costly than purchasing a cheap one that will require repairing now and then.
Consider how the solenoid/contractor is mounted on the truck. Choose a contractor that comes with a remote option because you can always install it elsewhere and to operate the winch in a tighter space. Integrated contractors are permanently attached to your winch hence might not fit if the mounting area is not of the perfect fit.
ATV Winch FAQ's
#1. What weight rating is right for me?
If your ATV is smaller (under 400cc), then you require a winch that has a 2000-2500lb for adequate performance. Larger ATVs (over 400cc) need a winch that has a 3000-35000lb meant to handle heavier loads.
#2. Wire cable or synthetic rope?
This choice depends on the type of terrain you will be working on the intensity of the work. However, both of them require special treatment and care to ensure that they stay in good condition for a more extended period. Synthetic ropes are lightweight and safe to handle without gloves.
However, they wear out quickly due to frequent exposure to harsh chemicals and UV light. On the other hand, wire cables are durable and have high abrasion resistance. You should always wear heavy gloves when using wire cables to protect your hands.
#3. Should I install it by myself or let the dealer do it?
Most ATV winches from well-known companies come with a detailed manual that contains a systematic procedure on how to install it. The process should be natural if you carefully follow the instructions, so it’s advisable to do it by yourself instead of spending extra money for the dealer to do it.
#4. What are the ATV winch’s specifications?
Some of the specs to keep in mind when buying a winch are; the line pull, type of motor and the material of the rope. Choose higher-end winches because they have strong engines hence more efficient and a higher line pull but can be a bit costly. Choose synthetic ropes because they are cheap to replace and are not harsh on your hands.
#5. Which is the best ATV winch brand?
Many brands manufacture winches nowadays. That’s why you should purchase a winch from a well-known brand instead of the new ones that don’t have the experience yet. Some of the best ATV winches brands that offer quality products include Warn, KFI, Champion and Superwinch. Ensure that the brand is legit to keep of frauds that intention is to take advantage of people who are not able to tell the difference between a fake product and a legit one.
#6. Should I purchase a winch from Amazon?
Amazon is among the best websites where you can purchase a winch from. However, ensure that you do your research for you to buy the right winch for your ATV because the products’ names and features can be confusing at times.
The above products entail different pros and cons that should guide you on settling for a model according to your purpose, budget and preferred design. Each of the discussed products is designed to offer a specific service so choose one that best suits what you are looking for. Those are the best ATV winches that we came up with, and we can guarantee you that they will be of great help whether you will be using it for transporting loads or pulling your stuck vehicles from mad without any complaints.
For more information, check out more customer reviews on Amazon where they share honest opinions about their experience after using the products. If you are interested in purchasing any of the discussed winches, check its price on Amazon now! We promise that you won’t regret this investment.
Related Post :
- The installation instructions are not clear hence setting up the winch takes time especially for beginners who are not familiar with the parts.